One of the best things about Summer of course, is getting a little R&R. I love taking vacations, even if its just a weekend getaway. There are so many beautiful places to visit, but having the right items with you, can make all the difference in the quality of your trip. We all know the basic essential pack items, but today I would like to share some additional things to consider, when going on a beach trip this summer. I have learned from experience and I probably have a story or two I could tell, when I didn’t take these items, and lived to regret it. So I wanted to share these tips with you…after all…sharing is caring.
1. Even though it’s summer, I’m not a big swimsuit wearer, but I love going to the beach at either sunset, or sunrise, in the summertime. A comfortable replacement idea, is to bring a beautiful kaftan that keeps you cool and comfortable, while looking good. Just think, you could go from beach to dinner, without changing your clothes. I love practical, comfortable, and beautiful, don’t you?
2. I love to stay fresh and cool, when the temperatures are hot and humid. That’s not always easy to do, especially if you have long, thick hair, like I do. A solution I’ve discovered, is to bring a small glass spray bottle of water & essential oil, like lavender. This works for several purposes. If I get too much sun, it’s soothing, but it also helps to keep me feeling cool…I spray it everywhere. You can even spray it on your pillow at night, to help get a good nights sleep. I also carry a portable mini battery operated fan, a mini fan that connects to my iPhone and/or an accordion manual fan, just in case. I can’t tell you how many people have commented to me…I wish I had one of those right now.
3. I’m not sure why I have forgotten this next item so many times, but I have. So I am adding it to this list. A HAT PEOPLE!!! Always bring one or two hats on a summer vacation. This too serves two purposes – Bad hair day cover up, and keeps the sun out of my face. Speaking of which…don’t forget your sunglasses – I have done that too. 🙁
4. A healthy sunblock, a moisturizing body & facial lotion, and a really good quality water thermos – these of course are essential when keeping your body hydrated and protected. We lose so much water when we are out in the sun, especially when we get hot and sweaty. There’s nothing worse than a sunburn and/or dehydration, that can ruin an entire trip.
5. I always want to have my AirPods, iPad/Device, and a good book handy – so when there’s downtime or quiet time, I have an interesting read standing by, or a fun youtube video, I’ve been wanting to watch. This is one of my favorite beach time activities.
6. So that brings me to having a portable chair, blanket, or towel to sit on. I recently found this beautiful round terry cloth beach blanket, with tassels all around it, at Walmart of all places. It was so inexpensive ($14), for such a thick, high quality terry cloth beach blanket, everyone should have at least something like this, to have plenty of room to sit at the beach and spread out. Also I personally do not like sitting in the sun in the summer time. I am a fair skin red-head, and I no longer have the desire to tan, as I use to when I was younger. So having some sort of sun shade just makes life more beautiful for me. For the most part, we are lucky enough to be able to drive to most of our beach vacations, as they are within 4 hours from our home. So if that’s the case for you, I love these new pop out sun shade things, you can find just about everywhere now. We also have a large Tommy Bahama umbrella with a rolling cart & matching chairs, we have used as well. I love both – as long as I am not sitting in the direct sun for hours on end. I love nothing more than reading a good book, listening to the waves hitting the shore, my husband flying a kite or drone in the distance, watching my daughter playing in the sand etc, all while staying cool in the shade…doesn’t get much better than that. This sun shelter below is only $35 at Walmart and it’s worth every penny when you are out there on the beach…plus it keeps your things from blowing away in the breeze and offers some privacy as well. I can feel a beach nap coming on…
Well that’s my travel tips for today – I have a lot more for future posts, so be sure to subscribe. Wishing you many blissful beach trips…